A piping layout drawings is a technical drawing that shows the layout of piping in a plant or facility. Piping layout shows the is over all dimensions of the plants/system/unit from where the plants starts and ends which shows the all piping, equipment nozzles, structure, piping supports, instruments tags, sp items etc. Piping layout is very important for installation of piping in the site.
Piping layout drawings shall show the piping on plan view and give all the information required for the preparation of isometric drawings and for erection of the piping. Cross- section and details shall be drafted on these drawings to facilities the drafting of the isometrics drawings
The orientation of the drawings shall be indicated on the drawings. If possible it should be same in all cases. The number of the drawings adjacent to boundaries of the given drawings shall be indicated
Contents should be include into the piping layout drawings while preparing
- Dimensioning:- Unit boundaries, row of pipe racks and structure and equipment shall be laid out with reference to system of coordinates. The elevations of horizontal equipment and platforms and the bottom levels of grouped or individual piping, etc shall be indicated.
- Equipment nozzles:-Tables shall be specifying the characteristics of equipment nozzles including diameters, rating, elevations, orientations and centre distances
- Representation of Piping:- In case of piping drawings to a scale of 1/33 or 1/50. Then piping up to 12 inch diameter shall be shown by singles lines and piping 14 inch and above in diameter shall be shown in double lines. All the piping lines shall be indentified by the line number as per in process and instruments diagrams. Along side this number the direction of flow, insulation and tracing shall be indicated. While preparing the piping layouts drawings designer have to check the clients project drafting standards and prepare the piping layout drawings according to that because every client have their different drafting standards. Some clients want all the piping in double lines in piping layout and some are above mention. So it varies clients to clients.
- Pipe Supports:- The pipe supports of piping 2 inch and above shall be shown and their positions identified.
- Instruments:- All instruments in lines or on equipment shall be shown and marked with identifications appearing on the P & ID in the piping layout drawings
- Special items:- All the special items should be marked in the piping layout drawings as per piping and instruments drawings. Special items like corrosion coupons, strainers, flame arrestors etc.
Piping Layout drawings symbol
Documents required for piping layout drawings
- Piping & instrumentation Diagram (P & ID)
- Equipment Layout.
- Piping Specification.
- Equipment Drawing.
- Vendor Requirement for proprietary equipment.
- Piping Design basis
- Piping material class
- Line list
- Plot Plan overall of the facility
Piping layout drawings are an essential part of the design and installation of piping systems. They provide a clear and concise way to communicate the layout of the piping system to engineers, contractors, operators, and maintenance personnel.
Benefits of piping layout drawings
- They help to ensure that the piping system is designed and installed correctly.
- They help to identify potential problems with the piping system.
- They help to troubleshoot problems with the piping system.
- They help to maintain the piping system.
Piping layout drawings are an important part of any piping project. By using piping layout drawings, you can help to ensure that your piping system is designed, installed, and maintained correctly. while working Piping layout drawing we have to refer equipment layout drawings. Both these documents required in the site.